A belated update and very concise summary of Koh Tao and what I’d recommend, get in touch for more tips.
Koh Tao is mini. It’s an earlier version of Koh Phi Phi – very relaxed and laid back. My sole goal for travelling here was to obtain my diving’s license. In hindsight I think I could’ve stayed a bit longer just “to chill”, it’s a nice island with good vibes. Definitely nice for couples (during low season probably..).
- Dive at deep Blue Blue Diving. Don’t stay or eat there. I had Steve as teacher – he was good.
- Stay at Samatha bed and breakfast, 2 minutes from diving – good breakfast, nice boutique hotel.
- Went to Barracuda Darawan dinner really good – Peter’s recommendation (he’s a local manager of both Baia Taco and Baia Burger). Really good food!! Luxe food for cheap. There are two, the big one has a nicer view
- Whitening – nice atmosphere and great view. They’re actually downtown. Not at the pier, changed locations. The food is good – Barracuda is better.
- Good ice cream @ Permpoon – hazelnut brownie is goodies!
- Thai-riffic is ok for cakes
- Took Lomprayah bus and ferry from Bangkok – it’s doable and ok. I didn’t realize we would need to wait 2 hours at the ferry place (from 4-6 am to catch our boat)
- Next time: look into flying to Chumpong and take a ferry from there
More Koh Tao tips from Kim
- Diving – Bans resort recommended
- 360 lookout for sunset
- Coconut monkey for lunch – really good menu and nice vibe
- Vegtabowl is amazingly fresh and healthy.- Super central
- Great food at mama piwayans – amazing pad thai
- 996 duck is recommended
- The restaurant next to 711 on the main rd is called market 1. It’s good and cheap
- Coffee boat had good cheap food
- Sairee hut is a nice hotel/ chillout restaurant on the beach with a pool
- Lotus is great at night for fire shows
- Fizz is nice for evening cocktails
- Ying yang is great food
- Bluewater cafe is great for happy hour/sunset and has amazing food
- Ladyboy cabaret at 1030pm is fun!
- Hire a bike – the place beside bans resort for 200b a day (you have to leave your passport don’t worry it’s safe):
- “I love Koh tao” lookout point is awesome
- Ao tanot has awesome snorkelling 4:30-6 pm. Juvenile reef sharks
- Mango bay lookout point is also beautiful